Frugal Family Vacation Ideas
Home >> Frugal Family Vacation Ideas
Money Saving Tips for Affordable Family Vacations
Maybe you think an affordable family vacation is out of your reach. These inexpensive vacation ideas are perfect for your family whether you're on a tight budget or have a little financial wiggle room.
Or maybe the thought of traveling with your kids is a bit daunting, but with a lot of planning, some smart vacation budgeting, and some inexpensive family vacation ideas you can enjoy a frugal fun vacation getaway.
I am a big believer in the family vacation. I believe our vacations help keep us emotionally healthy and connected as a family. But stressing about the cost isn't part of the fun, so affordable family vacations are a must for us.
Making good vacation memories doesn't require spending tons of money or traveling great distances.
You just need a fun and interesting place to go, and some good planning.
Get together and brainstorm some great family vacation ideas to get you started planning a vacation that everyone will enjoy.
How to Choose Affordable Family Vacation Destinations
Be Realistic and Keep an Open Mind
If you're working with a tight budget you certainly don't want to choose a destination that will overextend you, or worse yet, you don't want to find yourself stressing about money while you're supposed to be enjoying yourself on vacation. So start with places that are close to home. The further you have to travel, the more money it's going to cost you just to get there.
- Do you have a family member, or work with someone who owns a vacation home somewhere nearby? Consider offering to rent their place for a week or a weekend.
Do you live near a popular vacation destination? The shore, a state park, a historical city, an amusement or water park.
- Are you a member of an organization that's sponsoring a trip to somewhere? A ski weekend. A few days at an amusement park. A beach trip.
- Vacation with another family. Invite another family to share your vacation, and therefore, share the expense. Choose a destination that works well for the group. This is a really good money saver when you're looking to rent a vacation home.
- Ask friends, family and coworkers. The best frugal vacation information most moms get comes from other moms, so ask those closest to you for their family vacation ideas. Where is their family headed this year? Do they know about a great deal or maybe they're willing to share a vacation?
Traveling with an organization, or purchasing a trip sponsored by a professional association, or local club can give you big savings in transportation, accommodations and ticket costs.
Even just looking to see where your local groups are headed can give you some great family vacation ideas.
Contact your state Board of Tourism and request a vacation planner.
It will tell you all about all of the fun destinations that are right in your own back yard (or within a few hours drive of your backyard).
Do the same for states near you.
You'll learn about some interesting places, or things to see and do that you never knew were there.
I got my own State Vacation Planner and learned about towns and attractions that I didn't know existed. Each one is a potential weekend getaway or family vacation idea.
If you're a member of AAA (American Automobile Association) you can call them and request vacation information. AAA offers many hotel discounts all over the country.
Be open to considering some unconventional destinations for your family vacation idea.
Don't be afraid to go off the beaten path. It may save you money.
Just make sure that your destination is a place that will appeal to everyone in your family.
This page is one of the most popular on FFM. It helps lots of moms plan great vacations. Do YOU have an interest that could help other moms, while helping you be at home for your family?
Follow this link and find out.
More Inexpensive Family Vacation Tips, Ideas,
and Places to Go
After All Your Frugal Vacation Planning
Don't Forget to Have FUN!
A vacation, by definition, is a respite. A time away from your daily routine and stresses. As moms we sometimes forget to enjoy ourselves too. So make sure you remember this is your vacation too.
- Planning an itinerary is a good family vacation idea, but make sure you leave some time open to be spontaneous. Decide on a morning or afternoon activity ahead of time, but then leave the other half of the day open to whatever possibility might present itself.
- Let your kids make some choices about what the family gets to see or do.
- If you go to the beach don't forget to bring your own pail and shovel! Get down in the sand and play with your kids. Help them build that sandcastle, or walk down the beach with them and gather your own shell collection.
- Ride the roller coaster (or the bumper cars) with your kids.
- Relax and do "nothing" with your kids.
- Buy yourself an ice cream too.
- Turn off your cell phone. (The kids are with you. Everyone else can wait.)
- Have some totally fattening, yummy foods.
- Laugh a lot to burn off the calories.
- Take lots of pictures.
- Enjoy your children.
Whether you make it a week or a weekend, use these family vacation ideas to make it the best family vacation ever! (Until next year of course.)
Return to Frugal Fun Home from Frugal Family Vacation Ideas